Welcome to the Off-Nominal Discord! We’re a friendly and welcoming group of people excited about spaceflight and exploration.
This is a shared space for supporters of the WeMartians Podcast, Main Engine Cut Off and the eponymous podcast of this here community: Off-Nominal. It’s hosted by Jake and Anthony. We’re both super excited to have you here and thankful for your support.
If you like what you’re reading, keep on going. We’ll explain Discord, our community guidelines, tell you all about the channels we’ve got going, and some of the cool functionality built in by our very own members.
Discord is a text-based group chat application. It’s kind of like new-age IRC, and very similar to Slack if you’ve ever used that. You can access it from a browser, through a dedicated desktop application for Mac and Windows, or through a mobile app on Android or iOS.
Simply make an account, connect it to your Patreon account, and you will automatically be added to the Off-Nominal server. Follow this guide if you need more help!
Discord also has voice chats, which we occasionally use for live recordings or for launch event hangouts.
- Don’t be mean.
Teasing is ok. Discrimination isn’t.
- There are no dumb questions.
This community values learning and debate. See rule number 1.
Here’s a rundown on the channels we’ve got going:
- Any generic discussions on the topic of space or the podcasts that don’t quite fit in the other space-related channels.
- Discussions about planetary exploration, including payloads, planetary science, and human exploration.
- Discussions about launch vehicles or specific launches.
- Discussions about space policy, including budgets, finances, strategy, and politics.
- Pretty self-explanatory: discussions about space history.
- Non-space related discussions, including weather, grocery stores, and what things are like in Canada.
- When we’re recording live, this is the channel we watch and interact with. If you want to listen along and participate, jump in!
- Discussions for Patreon supporters only to discuss specific Patreon perks pertinent to each show, such as guest announcements and Patreon-only content (like MECO Headlines and Red Planet Review).
Helpful Robot Friends
Get a weather forecast for anywhere in the world using the command
w!now followed by the place name, such as
w!now Cape Canaveral. Useful for forecasting upcoming launches or learning about the places other members live!
Developed for the community, by the community. Get information on upcoming launches right in the chat. Here are some ways to use it:
!l next: Returns information on the next upcoming launch. Append a number for up to five upcoming launches, like
!l next 3.
- You can also append a search term like
atlasto get launches matching different parameters, like
!l next ULAor
!l next 5 ariane.
!l today: Returns all the launches happening today (Eastern Standard Time).
If you’ve got any questions, feedback, or anything else that needs attention, reach out to Jake, Anthony, or any of the moderators—Kris, Kurt, or Pat.
Or if you’d rather email us, send it to email@example.com.